Hometown: Alappuzha, Kerala
Age: 75 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sukumara Kurup
- Sukumara Kurup is an Indian fugitive who was the prime accused within the Chacko homicide case. He is without doubt one of the most wished criminals in Kerala and has been on a run away from police custody since 1984.
- He grew up in a middle-class household in Cheriyanad, Chengannur, Alappuzha, Kerala.
- Kurup was a daredevil since childhood.
- After finishing his pre-degree course, Sukumara joined the Indian Air Force as an airman. The job didn’t curiosity him a lot, and he took an extended break from work. He was marked a ‘deserter’ after he did not return to his job after his go away ended.
- Fearing a deserter inquiry on him, Sukumara bribed a head-constable to supply a faux report of his (Kurup’s) loss of life.
- Once, when Sukumara was at his relative’s place in Mumbai, he noticed a woman named Sarasamma and fell in love together with her. Her mom labored as a home assist at his Cheriyanad house. While Sukumara was serving the Indian Air Force, Sarsamma was pursuing a nursing course in Mumbai. The two of them began assembly one another usually and shortly, started relationship.
- When Sukumara’s mother and father got here to learn about their affair they tried to finish their relationship by sending letters to Sarasamma; ordering her to stop. However, captivated by Sarasamma’s magnificence, Sukumara married her in a secret ceremony at a temple in Matunga.
- After marrying Sarasamma, Kurup ready himself to maneuver to Abu Dhabi.
- He modified his identify to ‘Sukumara Pillai’ and utilized for a passport. After receiving the passport, Sukumara flew to Abu Dhabi and commenced working as an govt with a marine petroleum firm. His job earned him a gentle revenue.
- Soon, his spouse Sarasamma additionally moved to Abu Dhabi. She labored there as a nurse at a non-public hospital.
- In Abu Dhabi, Sarasamma befriended a bunch of fellows and began spending lavishly on events. He additionally began providing financial assist to his associates, particularly in occasions of disaster.
- During his visits to Kerala, Sukumara normally introduced suitcases stuffed with items for his family and friends members.
- He typically insisted on paying the liquor payments for his associates all through his keep in Kerala, gaining a superior social and financial standing.
- During one such staycation in Kerala, Sukumara purchased a plot of land at Ambalapuzha and determined to construct a luxurious home on it. At the identical time, he additionally bought an Ambassador automotive for himself.
- Taking satisfaction in his superior social standing, Sukumara made a number of useless bills, leading to a low financial institution stability. Together, Sukumara and his spouse earned Rs. 60,000 a month. However, their financial savings have been near nil.
- In 1984, when he visited his native place throughout holidays, Kurup started the development of his home. Meanwhile, there have been rumours about Gulf corporations planning to shed their current workforce and hiring new staff at low wages. On listening to the information, Sukumara bought anxious as his home was nonetheless below building and he was in dire want of cash.
- Habitual of a luxurious life-style, Sukumara started considering of an thought to get wealthy shortly. One night time, when he was studying an English journal, Kurup got here throughout a monetary embezzlement case that came about in Germany wherein the delinquent faked his loss of life to gather the insurance coverage cash.
- Impressed by the thought, Kurup began considering of how to execute it. One night time when he was sitting along with his buddy Shahu for a spherical of drinks, Sukumara, introduced the thought to him. On Shahu’s approval of the plan, Kurup, satisfied his brother-in-law Bhaskara Pillai (his spouse’s sister’s husband) and his driver Ponnappan to hitch him within the plan.
- The plan was to faux Kurup’s loss of life with the intention to declare the insurance coverage quantity of Rs. eight lakh.
- To start with the plan, Sukumara requested his brother-in-law to rearrange a second-hand automotive, after which, Pillai purchased a used Ambassador automotive for Rs. 8000.
- They first considered arranging an unclaimed useless physique (that bore resemblance to Kurup) from the Alappuzha Medical College as considered one of Pillai’s kin labored there. However, it didn’t work out.
- Next, they deliberate to scavenge a useless physique from a cemetery however couldn’t accomplish that.
- When all their plans to rearrange a useless physique failed, Kurup urged a homicide as a final resort.
- On 21 January 1984, in the course of the night time, all 4 of them gathered on the Kalpakavadi Hotel at Karuvatta. They had their dinner, consumed slightly liquor, and went trying to find their prey.
- Sukumara bought into the Ambassador automotive with the plate KLQ-7831 and all others sat contained in the automotive bearing the quantity KLY-5959. They drove round 25 km on the freeway however couldn’t discover a appropriate individual. However, after they drove previous the Hari film theatre, they noticed a person, who seemed considerably just like Kurup, asking for a raise.
- Kurup and his companions stopped their automobiles and supplied him a raise. The man was Chacko, a movie consultant who was standing exterior the theatre to return house (in Alappuzha) after assessing the ticket collections on the theatre.
- Although the 4 of them have been getting in an other way, they altered it to supply a experience to Chacko. Chacko who was in a rush to succeed in house didn’t discover it and sat contained in the automotive.
- After some time, Pillai supplied Chacko a glass of spiked drink, however Chacko refused to have it. Some minutes handed and Pillai once more supplied Chacko a drink (this time in a severe tone). However, Chacko once more refused to have it. This infuriated Pillai who shouted,
- Seeing Pillai shout, Chacko panicked, and shortly gulped the drink, and have become unconscious. When Chacko fell into their laps, Pillai and Shahu strangled him to loss of life utilizing a towel.
- Subsequently, they moved to Smita Bhavan, Kurup’s spouse’s native place in Cheriyanadu, the place they undressed Chacko and charred his face to cover his id. They eliminated all his equipment together with his rings and watch, dressed him in Kurup’s garments, and loaded him within the newly-purchased Ambassador automotive. They then drove in direction of the paddy area at Thannimukkam.
- After reaching the place, the 4 of them put Chacko’s physique on the driving seat and set the automotive on fireplace.
- The subsequent morning at round 5, an individual knowledgeable the Mavelikkara police concerning the burning automotive on the highway. Soon, circle inspector M. Haridas and his group members reached the place of crime and located a charred physique of a person mendacity contained in the automotive.
- The preliminary investigation hinted that the incident was an accident and the person contained in the automotive was first believed to be Sukumara Kurup. However, the police despatched the physique for autopsy and shortly got here to know that the physique was not of Kurup.
- Further, the forensic group revealed that there was no hint of charcoal within the useless physique’s respiratory system regardless of the fireplace being the supposed explanation for his loss of life. The forensic group additionally revealed that there was a stench of poison current within the abdomen of the useless man.
- The police grew suspicious and intently inspected the sight of the crime. They discovered a pair of footwear, a rubber glove with a number of strands of hair in it, and a matchbox from the spot. The police additionally traced some footprints within the mud indicating that somebody has flown from there and got here to a conclusion that the person was first poisoned after which planted within the automotive.
- In an interview, whereas sharing the main points concerning the incident, Haridas (Deputy Superintendent of Police who dealt with the case) stated,
I reached the spot of the crime by 5.30 that morning. I suspected foul play from the very starting as I observed a matchbox, a hand glove, and stains of petrol within the space. I came upon that the automotive belonged to 1 Sukumara Kurup, an expatriate. But within the investigation that adopted, we discovered that the physique was not that of Kurup.”
- The police additionally doubted Kurup’s household as their behaviour was very uncommon. Soon, a number of policemen have been deployed in informal garments exterior Kurup’s home to maintain a watch on them. They observed that the household had a lavish non-veg meal simply two days after the demise of Sukumara, which they discovered unusual.
- On the Contrary, Chacko’s spouse, Santhamma, got here throughout this information, and he or she, together with Chacko’s brother, registered a lacking grievance about Chacko on the Mavelikkara police station. Earlier, Santhamma didn’t fear about Chacko’s absence as Chacko typically moved out of his house for days attributable to his work.
- Soon, Santhamma was referred to as to the Mavelikkara police station to establish a useless physique. Although the physique was totally burnt, she recognised Chacko by his underwear which was not totally destroyed.
- On studying that the useless man was Chacko, police quickly linked the clues and reached the conclusion that Sukumara had faked his loss of life to say the insurance coverage cash.
- As quickly because the thriller bought solved, the police arrested Kurup’s aides within the crime- his driver Ponnappan, his brother-in-law Bhaskara Pillai, and his buddy Shahu. However, Sukumara had a slender escape.
- While Ponnappan and Bhaskara Pillai have been sentenced to life-term imprisonment, Shahu turned an approver and was later launched.
- Taking benefit of the 72-hour head begin, Kurup fled from the nation. It was later stated that he first flew to Aluva after which moved to Chennai. From there, he moved to Bhutan and later to Andamans. Subsequently, he relocated to Bhopal. Despite studying about his areas, the police did not catch him.
- In order to come up with Kurup, the particular investigation group (SIT) of the police additionally positioned 4 undercover policemen in Kurup’s neighbourhood for eight years however didn’t succeed.
- As a results of Kurup’s heinous crime, his household was ostracised by the group and his spouse needed to go away her job.
- The Chacko homicide case was one of many longest-standing circumstances within the judicial historical past of Kerala. The case closed in 1996 when regardless of looking for 12 lengthy years the Kerala police was unable to nab Kurup.
- Since the day, Kurup went lacking, individuals made many theories about his disappearance. Some individuals believed that Sukumara had develop into a monk in Nepal. A number of stated that he had fled for the Gulf from Nepal. People even stated that he transformed to Islam and was dwelling in a mosque in Saudi Arabia.
- Once, a nurse working at a hospital in Ranchi claimed that she had handled Kurup when he was on a run. During a dialog with the police, she stated that he was not more likely to reside lengthy as he suffered a severe sickness.
- In 1990, an individual named Joseph claimed that Kurup was very ailing and most likely would have died. In an interview, he stated,
Kurup was noticed on the district hospital, Dhanbad, Bihar, in 1989. He was admitted with extreme cardiac points. The identify given was P. S. Joshi, and he was 50. A Malayali nurse, who had her suspicions, requested him about his authentic house; he vanished the very subsequent day along with his medical data. The identical individual has been sighted in 9 states together with Odisha, West Bengal, and Assam. He was final noticed in Narayanpur (at the moment in Chhattisgarh) in January 1990. He vanished from there, too. Doctors instructed us that he wouldn’t survive for greater than every week as his situation was that important.”
- In 2010, when Kurup’s youthful son, Sunit was getting married, his wedding ceremony invitation learn ‘son of Mr. Sukumara Pillai.’ There was no ‘late’ hooked up to his identify which hints that Kurup was nonetheless alive.
- When Kurup murdered Chacko, he was married for lower than a 12 months and his (Chacko’s) spouse Santhamma was pregnant with their first baby. In 2018, throughout a gathering close to the St Thomas Malankara Syrian Catholic Church at Chengannur, Chacko’s spouse Santhamma stated that she had forgiven Kurup and others concerned in her husband’s loss of life. She stated,
We don’t know whether or not he’s alive or useless. However, we forgive Sukumara Kurup and the others concerned within the homicide of my husband.”
- Sukumara’s prison act has impressed many Malayalam movies like NH47 (1984) and Pinneyum (2016).
- In 2021, a Malayalam thriller crime thriller primarily based on the lifetime of Sukumara and the results of Chacko’s homicide was made. The movie was titled ‘Kurup’ and solid Dulquer Salmaan within the eponymous position. In December 2021, Chacko’s son, Jithin, slammed the filmmakers with a authorized discover complaining that his father’s killer shouldn’t be glorified as a hero.
Disclaimer: This story is auto-aggregated by a laptop program and has not been created by BouncingBelly. Please click on on the Source link given above to immediately learn the story from the Original Publishing entity. In case of any discrepancy within the content material and also you need the content material to be modified, please attain out to us at email@example.com