Satish Vasant Alekar, higher often known as Satish Alekar, is an Indian actor, theatre director, and playwright who primarily works within the Marathi movie and theatre business. He is finest identified for his Marathi performs Mahanirvan (1974), Mahapoor (1975), Atirekee (1990), Pidhijat (2003), Micky ani Memsahib (1973), and Begum Barve (1979).
Satish Alekar was born on Sunday, 30 January 1949 (age 72 years; as of 2021) in Delhi. His zodiac signal is Aquarius. While he was just a few months outdated, his household shifted to Pune (the place he grew up), a centre of Marathi tradition in Maharashtra. He attended The Deccan Education Society’s (DES) New English School, Ramanbaug, Pune, and went to Fergusson College, Pune, to pursue B.Sc. After finishing his commencement, Satish enrolled himself within the University of Pune to pursue a grasp’s diploma in biochemistry. Alekar skilled stage for the primary time when he was in faculty. Later, he joined a theatre group and actively participated in theatre performs. Director Bhalba Kelkar noticed him in one in every of his performs and impressed by his efficiency, provided him to hitch his (Kelkar’s) Progressive Dramatic Association.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Half-Bald (Salt & Pepper)
Eye Colour: Aqua
Parents & Siblings
Not a lot is thought about his dad and mom.
Wife & Children
Satish acquired married to Anita Alekar on 22 February 1976. His spouse handed away on 13 March 2007. The couple has a son named Mikin.
Satish Alekar labored as a Biochemistry professor at B. J. Medical College, Pune, from 1972 to 1996. In 1996, he joined the Lalit Kala Kendra, University of Pune, as a professor and Head Centre for Performing Arts. He labored there for round 13 years and resigned from his place in 2009. He was then appointed as an Honorary Director on the University of Pune for a program supported by Ratan Tata Trust from 2009 to 2011. The college honoured him by nominating him as a ‘Distinguished Professor (Performing Arts)’ on the campus in September 2013. Many of his college students are working within the movie and tv business in Mumbai (as of 2021).
In 1973, Satish penned the play ‘Micki Aani Memsaheb’ which was properly acquired by the viewers. Alekar then wrote and directed ‘Mahanirvan.’ Staged in 1974, Mahanirvan is a black comedy that revolves across the story of a useless man and the way his household goes about his final rites. The play was an instantaneous hit.
In 1975, he wrote the play ‘Mahapoor.’ Thereafter, he wrote the scripts of the performs ‘Begum Barve’ (1979), ‘Shanwar Raviwar’ (1982), ‘Dusra Samana’ (1987), ‘Atireki’ (1990), ‘Ek Divas Mathakade’ (2012), and ‘Thakishi Sanvad’ (2020).
Some of his Marathi one-act performs embody ‘Memory’ (1969), ‘Bhajan’ (1969), ‘Ek Zulta Pool’ (1971), ‘Dar Koni Ughadat Naahi’ (1979), and ‘Bus Stop’ (1980). He has additionally tailored numerous one-act performs which incorporates ‘Judge’ (1968), ‘Valan’ (1980), ‘Alshi Uttarvalyachi Gosht’ (1999), ‘Nashibvan Baiche Don’ (1999), ‘Supari’ (2002), and ‘Karmaachari’ (2009).
Satish began his profession as a theatre artist in 1971 with the Marathi play ‘Ek Zulta Pool.’ He performed the function of a younger man within the play. Next, he acted within the Marathi performs ‘Mahanirvan’ (1974), ‘Begum Barve’ (1979), ‘Shanwar Raviwar’ (1980), and ‘Boat Futli’ (1982).
Satish made his Hindi movie debut in 1984 with the movie “Ye Kahani Nahi” during which he performed a supporting function. Subsequently, he appeared in Hindi movies like Dumkata (2007), Aiyaa (2012), Dekh Tamasha Desk (2014), and Thackeray (2019).
In 2021, he was solid within the Hindi-language sports activities movie “83.” He performed the function of BR. Sheshrao Wankhede within the movie.
Marathi Films & Web Series
He made his Marathi movie debut in 1981 with the movie ‘Aakrit.’ He then went on to characteristic in lots of Marathi movies like ‘Umbartha’ (1982), ‘Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar’ (1991), ‘Ek Hota Vidushak’ (1992), ‘Dhyas Parva’ (2001), ‘Kadachit’ (2007), ‘Chintoo’ (2012), ‘Aajachaa Diwas Maazaa’ (2013), and ‘Welcome Zindagi’ (2015).
In 2019, he was featured within the net sequence ‘Smile Please’ as Appa Joshi. Thereafter, he appeared within the Marathi net sequence ‘Panchak’ (2019) and ‘Pet-Puran’ (2021).
Satish Alekar has been featured within the TV commercials of many in style manufacturers like Tata Sky, Honda Amaze, New York Life Insurance, Red Label Tea, Snapdeal, and Fiama Di Willis Body Wash.
In 1977, Alekar scripted the Marathi characteristic movie “Jait Re Jait.” The movie was directed by Jabbar Patel and received a National Award for Best Feature Film in Marathi. Satish additionally scripted the dialogues for the Marathi characteristic movie “Katha Don Ganpatravanchi” (1996). Alekar additionally directed a Hindi TV serial “Dekho Magar Pyar Se” in 1985 for Doordarshan. In 1989, Alekar launched the guide ‘The Dread Departure,’ which is an English translation of his Marathi play ‘Mahanirvan.’ The translation was executed by Gauri Deshpande.
Thereafter, he launched the guide titled ‘Begum Barve’ (2003). The guide is an English translation of his Marathi play ‘Begum Barve and was translated by Shanta Gokhale.
In 2009, the English translation of his performs was printed as Collected Plays of Satish Alekar by Oxford University Press, Delhi.
In 2015, Alekar wrote a fortnightly column named ‘Gagnika’ in Marathi for the Sunday version of Loksatta. The column was based mostly on Satish’s journey as a Performing Artist since 1965. The column turned extremely popular among the many readers. Seeing the recognition that the column fetched, on 30 April 2017, Alekar launched a guide titled ‘Gagnika.’ In 2018, he turned part of ‘Aparichit Pu La,’ a 90 minutes appearing studying programme on lesser-known writings of the favored Indian author P. L. Deshpande.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- His assortment of brief performs “Zulta Pool” acquired the most effective assortment of brief performs award from Ministry of Culture, Govt. of Maharashtra, in 1974.
- His play ‘Mahanirvan’ was awarded Late Ram Ganesh Gadkari award by the State of Maharashtra in 1975.
- Satish acquired Nandikar Sanman at Calcutta in 1992.
- Alekar acquired a fellowship from the Asian Cultural Council, New York, to check theatre within the US in 1983.
- He acquired a fellowship from the Ford Foundation to check Theatre of South Asia in 1988.
- Satish acquired a Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for playwriting from Sangeet Natak Akademi, Delhi, in 1994.
- He was awarded State Award for Best Actor in Comedy Role for the Marathi movie ‘Katha Don Ganpatravanchi’ in 1997.
- Satish was awarded the Vi Va Shirwadkar award for playwriting by Natya Parishad, Nasik, in 2007.
- He acquired the Lifetime Achievement Award by Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Natya Parishad, Mumbai, in 2012.
- Satish was awarded “Padama Shree” by the then President of India Pratibha Patil in 2012.
- He acquired Balaraj Sahani Memorial Award in 2013 for his contribution as an actor, director, and playwright for over 40 years.
- Alekar was awarded Aarati Prabhu Award by Baba Vardam Theatres, Kudal, Dist. Sindhudurg in 2014.
- Satish was awarded the Tanveer Sanman in 2017. Tanveer Sanman is a prestigious award for lifetime contribution to the sector of Theatre constituted by Dr. Shriram Lagoo by Rupavedh Pratisthan, Pune.
- He acquired Advt Tryambakrao Shirole Award for Best Non-Fiction for his guide Gaganika in 2018 by Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad, Pune.
- Playwrights: Vijay Tendulkar, Girish Karnad, Mohan Rakesh, Badal Sircar
- Alekar loves studying, travelling, and spending time together with his household in his leisure time.
- Satish’s performs have been translated into many alternative languages like Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Dogri, Kannada, Gujarati, Rajasthani, Punjabi, and Konkani.
- In 2001, Alekar’s performs had been included within the National Anthologies by the National School of Drama and Sahitya Akademi, Delhi.
- In 2003, Alekar was invited by the Tisch School of Arts at New York University to show a course on the Indian Theatre.
- In 2005, The Department of Theater and Films Studies, University of Georgia, invited Satish to direct an English manufacturing of his Marathi play ‘Begum Barve.’
- In 2008, Atul Pethe made a 90-minute movie on Satish Alekar’s life titled ‘Natakkar Satish Alekar (Playwright Satish Alekar).’
- Satish writes his scripts in his native language Marathi.
- He has collaborated in lots of worldwide play translation initiatives.
- In 2009, During the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Riddle’s Court The Holy Cow Performing Arts Group in Edinburgh, Scotland, carried out an English model of his play Micky And Memsahib.
- Alekar’s play ‘Mahanviran’ is taken into account one of many classics of the Indian stage and has been carried out greater than 400 instances in 47 years.
- During an interview, when requested concerning the purpose for refusing the submit of director at National School of Drama, Delhi, and selecting to work at Lalit Kala Kendra in Pune, Satish mentioned,
Well, the work at Lalit Kala Kendra was more difficult, primarily as a result of, at the moment the humanities school wasn’t obtainable in Maharashtra. In retrospect, I do consider that my job on the Pune establishment allowed me to return one thing again to the State, which has given me a lot. Now that I’ve retired from the establishment, I’ve extra time in hand. In truth, I’m writing a brand new play referred to as Monologues, however I’m not certain when it is going to be accomplished.”
- In an interview, whereas speaking about his play Mahanirvan, Alekar mentioned,
Today, the idea of loss of life is completely different as a result of it has come near us. We are watching it on daily basis, with out fail, on each channel and on cellphones, both from social violence, terrorism or illness. Films have turn out to be extra violent. When I used to be youthful, one’s expertise of loss of life was much less frequent and was sacred. If there was a loss of life, the entire ambiance would completely change in workplace and residential. Now, individuals are in a rush to renew regular life. Even if the bereaved are feeling a way of loss, they proceed with household affairs, workplace and on a regular basis life.”
Disclaimer: This story is auto-aggregated by a computer program and has not been created by BouncingBelly. Please click on on the Source link given above to straight learn the story from the Original Publishing entity. In case of any discrepancy within the content material and also you need the content material to be modified, please attain out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org