Deedar Singh Randhawa, higher often called Dara Singh, is a wrestler, actor, director, producer, and politician. He is greatest identified for taking part in the function of ‘Hanuman’ within the Indian historic collection “Ramayan.” Dara Singh is popularly often called the ‘Ironman of Indian Cinema,’ ‘The Original Muscle Man of Bollywood,’ and ‘The Action King of Bollywood.’
Dara Singh was born on Monday, 19 November 1928 (age 83 years on the time of loss of life) in Ratangarh Village, Gurdaspur District, Punjab. His zodiac signal was Scorpio. He grew up in Gurdaspur’s Dharmu Chak village. He left research at an early age and carried out farming actions until 1946. During that point, he additionally did non-professional wrestling. In 1947, Dara, alongside along with his uncle, moved to Singapore.
Height (approx.): 6′ 2″
Weight (approx): 130 kg
Body Measurements: Chest- 52″, Waist-38″, Biceps 18″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Dara Singh belonged to a Jat Sikh Family. His father, Surat Singh Randhawa, was a farmer. His mom, Balwant Kaur Randhawa, was a homemaker. He had a brother, Sardara Singh Randhawa (actor & wrestler), who died in 2013. Sardara Singh Randhawa was married to the Bollywood actress, Malika.
Wife & Children
Dara Singh obtained married to Bachno Kaur in 1937. Together that they had a son, Parduman Randhawa, who’s an actor. Later, the couple obtained divorced.
After his divorce with Bachno Kaur, Dara Singh married Surjit Kaur Aulakh on 11 May 1961. The couple had two sons, Virender Singh Randhawa (Actor) and Amrik Singh Randhawa (Producer) and three daughters, Deepa Singh, Kamal Singh, and Loveleen Singh.
His nephew Shaad Randhawa can also be an actor.
Dara is the brother-in-law of the actor, Ratan Aulakh (Singh’s spouse’s brother). His son-in-law, Daman Maan, can also be an actor. Daman is married to his eldest daughter, Kamal.
While in Singapore, Dara Singh began to work there in a drum-manufacturing mill. After his construct up physique, folks inspired him to take up wrestling as his profession.
Singh, then labored at Singapore’s ‘Happy World Stadium’ for round 6 months, however, didn’t get any wrestling alternative. Thereafter, he obtained coaching in wrestling from the coach Harnam Singh within the Great World Stadium. As he had a build-up physique, his coach inspired him to take up Pehlwani, an Indian fashion of wrestling. As knowledgeable wrestler, Singh competed with many common wrestlers around the globe like Bill Verna, Firpo Zbyszko, John Da Silva, Rikidozan, Danny Lynch, and Ski Hi Lee.
In 1950, he defeated the wrestler, Tarlok Singh, and have become the ‘Champion of Malaysia’ in Pehlwani. Dara Singh obtained large reputation in 1951 after he defeated the Australian-Indian skilled wrestler “King Kong” in Sri Lanka.
In 1954, Singh received the Rustam-e-Hind Tournament by defeating Tiger Joginder Singh within the last and obtained a silver cup from Maharaja Hari Singh. Subsequently, he received the Commonwealth Championship (1959) by defeating George Gordienko. On 29 May 1968, Dara received the World Championship by defeating Lou Thesz within the last spherical. In addition to skilled wrestling, he had additionally wrestled on the invitation of assorted Indian princely states. In June 1983, Singh introduced his retirement in a match held in Delhi.
Dara was inducted into the ‘Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame’ in 1996. In April 2018, he was additionally inducted into the ‘WWE Hall of Fame.’
Dara Singh began his appearing profession in 1952 with the movie “Sangdil.” Next, he appeared as a stunt man in movies like “Pehli Jhalak” and “Engal Selvi.” In 1962, Singh performed his first lead function within the movie “King Kong.” He made his Punjabi movie debut as an actor, author, and director in 1970 with the movie “Nanak Dukhiya Sub Sansar.” His Malayalam movie debut got here within the 12 months 1985 with the movie “Mutharamkunnu P.O.” Subsequently, he partnered with Mumtaz and labored in round 16 Hindi movies together with her. The pair turned the very best paid B-grade actors (Singh obtained round Rs four lakh per movie).
Dara Singh made his tv debut in 1987 by taking part in the function of ‘Hanuman’ within the Indian historic tv drama “Ramayan.” Thereafter he labored in lots of TV serials and movies. Singh had additionally performed the function of ‘Bheem’ and ‘Balram’ in lots of “Mahabharata” movies. He additionally featured as ‘Shiva’ in lots of mythological movies.
His final movie as a lead actor was ‘Rustom’ (1982). After that, Dara Singh performed character roles within the movies. The final Hindi movie that he labored in was “Jab We Met” and his final Punjabi film launched earlier than his loss of life was “Dil Apna Punjabi.” Singh directed seven Punjabi movies together with “Sawa Lakh Se Ek Ladaun,” “Nanak Dukhiya Sub Sansar,” “Dhyanu Bhagat,” and “Rab Dian Rakhan.”
Dara Singh campaigned for the Congress occasion with Zail Singh and Sanjay Gandhi for the mid-term Lok Sabha election in 1979. In January 1998, Singh joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Subsequently, he was nominated to the Rajya Sabha- the higher home of the Indian Parliament. He served because the member of Rajya Sabha from 2003 to 2009. Dara Singh was additionally the president of the Jat Mahasabha.
In 1970s, Singh’s movie “Raj Karega Khaalsa” attracted an argument when the ruling authorities on the heart banned the movie on the pretext of “Seditious Elements.” When Dara Singh went to foyer for his movie, a veteran politician, Giani Zail Singh’ requested him to interchange the work “Sarkar” with one other phrase. Dara agreed and changed the work with “Raj.” The movie additionally confronted opposition from many hardcore Sikh orgaisations. Later, when Dara Singh himself got here into the politics, the movie was launched with the title “Sava Lakh Se Ek Ladaun.”
Awards & Achievements
- Won Professional Indian Wrestling Championship (1953)
- Won Commonwealth Wrestling Championship by defeating Canadian Champion, George Godianko (1959)
- Won World Wrestling Championship by defeating “Lou Thesz” of America (1968)
- Best Actor Award for the movie ‘Jagga’ (1964) by the Government of India which was offered by Indira Gandhi.
Salary & Net Worth
Dara Singh’s web value was anticipated to be approx. $four million. He used to earn Rs. four lakh per movie.
On 7 July 2012, Dara Singh suffered an enormous coronary heart assault and was admitted into Mumbai’s Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital. After two days, the medical doctors confirmed that he had mind harm because of the lack of blood circulate. Singh was discharged from the hospital on 11 July 2012. The subsequent day (12 July 2012), he died at his house in Mumbai. He was cremated on the Juhu Crematorium.
- Dara Singh by no means consumed alcohol in his lifetime.
- His hobbies included travelling and doing wrestling.
- Dara Singh adopted a non-vegetarian weight-reduction plan.
- He obtained married to his first spouse, Bachno Kaur, when he was simply 9 years outdated.
- Apparently, on the time of his marriage, his spouse was extra tall and wholesome then Dara Singh. So, his mother and father began taking extra care of his weight-reduction plan.
- Reportedly, Dara Singh fought his first skilled wrestling match with an Italian wrestler and the match was a draw.
- The first prize cash that he earned from a wrestling match was $50.
- In 1952, Singh turned the primary sportsman to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
- Dara Singh bagged the function of a wrestler in 1954 within the movie “Pehli Jhalak” during which there was a scene the place, Om Prakash, desires of wrestling with “Dara Singh.” The scene had no dialogues and was shot with none difficulties.
- As a wrestler, his most memorable combat occurred on 12 December 1956, when Dara Singh lifted the “King Kong” of Australia, who weighted round 200 kg, and twirled him round.
- In 1960, Singh obtained one other supply to wrestle with ‘Bhagwan Dada’ within the movie “Bhakt Raj,” however he needed to communicate 4 to 5 dialogues within the movie. As Dara was not in a position to communicate the dialogues correctly at the moment, his dialogues have been dubbed by one other artist.
- Dara Singh disclosed in an interview that his command over languages was poor, and thus, lecturers have been stored to show him Urdu and Hindi when he began working within the Indian cinema.
- In 1962, after the discharge of the movie “King Kong,” a fan of him wrote a letter to Dara asking, “You are India’s Bheem, why do you play Bheem.” His traces touched Dara to an extent that he received the World Wrestling Championship.
- In 1963, the movie director, Mohammed Hussain, and the movie producer, Vinod Doshi, wished to signal a well-liked actress reverse Dara Singh within the movie “Faulad.” However, not one of the them have been able to act reverse him. Later, Hussain and Doshi signed the actress “Mumtaz” (who used to play small roles within the movies at the moment) for the movie. The movie was an enormous hit on the field workplace.
- Thereafter, Dara Singh acted in over 16 movies with Mumtaz, and amongst them, 10 movies have been hit on the field workplace.
- In 1968, Dara Singh turned the second Indian wrestler to win the “World Wrestling Championship,” after Gama Pehalwan.
- In 1978, Dara Singh based the ‘Dara Film Studio’ in Mohali, Punjab.
- Singh served because the chairman of the ‘Cine and TV Artist Association’ (CINTAA)’ for a number of years.
- In 1989, he printed his autobiography in Punjabi titled “Meri Aatm Katha.”
- Dara Singh travelled the world for wrestling tournaments, besides China.
- Singh has additionally labored in some shelved movies like ‘Naagvanshi’ (1993), ‘Hamara Kanoon’ (1998), ‘Lohe Ka Dil’ (1999), and ‘Balle Balle America’ (2000).
- During his wrestling profession, Singh did round 500 skilled fights, and he didn’t even lose a single one.
- Once, there have been rumours that the one that has earned a giant title within the Indian wrestling isn’t the true Dara Singh. An unknown individual appeared and stated, “While I used to be in imprisonment, this individual (Dara Singh) has used my title to earn reputation. Later, it was discovered that the stranger was none apart from his brother, Parduman Randhawa, who later earned a giant title in appearing and wrestling.
- He remained the president of the ‘Jat Mahasabha,’ a company of Jats in India untill his loss of life in 2012.
- The Indian creator, Seema Sonik Alimchand, wrote a guide titled “Deedara aka Dara Singh,” which was primarily based on Dara Singh’s life.” The guide was launched in December 2016 by Akshay Kumar.
- In 2019, a statue of him was erected in his honour at Phase 6, Mohali, Punjab, subsequent to Dara Studio.
- Dara Singh appeared in round 122 Hindi movies and 22 Punjabi movies in his appearing profession.
- He was part of two nationwide award profitable Punjabi movies, “Jagga” and “Mai Maa Punjab Dee.”
- Dara Singh can also be the topic of a comic book guide “The Epic Journey of the Great Dara Singh,” which was launched on the Oxford Bookstore in New Delhi in 2019 by his son, Vindu Dara Singh.
Disclaimer: This story is auto-aggregated by a pc program and has not been created or edited by BouncingBelly. Please click on on the Source link given above to instantly learn the story from the Original Publishing entity.