Quick Update and Important Highlights / First Observation on Ram Rahim: Updated
Rohtak IG has given shoot-at-sight orders around Rohtak jail in case of violence and that no followers of Dera chief Ram Rahim will allowed near the jail.
Dera Chief Breaks Down, Pleads for Mercy in front of Judge
20 Years imprisonment announced by CDI Court for Ram Rahim
The government and administration have made elaborate security arrangements across multiple place to ensure peace
A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court today announced maximum punishment against Dera Sacha Sauda Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in a 1992 rape case. CBI has called the Ram Rahim rape case a rarest of rare case.
CBI Judge Jagdeep Singh pronounced two sentences of 10 years rigorous imprisonment in each of the two cases that date back to 2002, said defence lawyer S K Garg Narwana. He said both sentences will run consecutively for a total of 20 years in jail for the flamboyant guru. The court also fined the Dera chief Rs 15 lakh in each of the two cases, of which Rs 14 lakh each would go to the two victims.
The quantum of sentence was announced in a special court specially set up inside the district Jail premises in Sunaria near Rohtak, where the controversial godman was brought after conviction.
Next Step for Ram Rahim:
It is but obvious that Ram Rahim’s team will challenge the decision in the High Court and possible in Supreme Court. The general observation is that the sentence was minimal since the minimum sentence in such a case is for 7 years and max is life imprisonment. But the good part is that the process has been initiated and hopefully it will end well. The Country’s judicial system to be hailed for its landmark judgement and more good things are expected to come in near future.
Next Step for Court:
- Ram Rahim the godman has been convicted, so CBI needs to defend their case in all higher court against Ram Rahim.
- under IPC section 376 (rape)
- Section 506 (criminal intimidation) and
- Section 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman).
- This is only one of the many points for which Ram Rahim has been convicted. It will be wait and watch how he get convicted for all the other heinous crimes labelled against him.
— ANI (@ANI) August 28, 2017
- The Dera chief will be sent for a medical examination and then will be given a prison uniform and will be allotted a jail cell.
- Thousands of paramilitary troops and anti-riot police have blocked off all roads in the area. Barbed-wire barriers have been erected and residents have been warned to stay indoors in Rohtak.
- Large gatherings are banned in the city. Mobile internet services remain suspended. Senior members of Ram Rahim’s Dera Sacha Sauda sect were placed under detention as a precautionary measure.
- Over the weekend, more than 100 branches of the sect have been sanitised and sealed across Haryana. Petrol cans and sticks were found stockpiled. The police in Sirsa, where his 700- acre main base is located, have been urging about 30,000 devotees to emerge from the campus.
- Followers of Ram Rahim, continue to insist upon his innocence. “Our father can never do any sin,” said devotee Trilok Insaan at a shop in Sirsa, adorned with posters of a heavily-bearded Ram Rahim.